Monday, July 16, 2012

Inspired by a Hero Artist card

Hi everyone!

When I saw the latest challenge at the A Blog Named Hero site, I IMMEDIATELY knew I would be participating! Anyone that knows me knows that I am a BIG fan of Jennifer McGuire. I love her style! She makes cards that look so complicated--yet, aren't really that hard to do! And the cards always look so classy...LOVE her style! And I hope I don't embarrass her by sharing that she's not only incredibly talented--she's also super sweet! When I first started stamping and buying Hero Arts products, I was shocked to find in my mailbox one day that she had sent me some stamps!!!! I had been fighting a horrible cold and had 2 sick boys--and her package arrived at the perfect time! I could not have been more appreciative of the gesture! In fact, the stamp I used on the card below was from the stack that she sent me...I LOVE her!

Also, the site V's Sweet Ideas is also having a "celebration" challenge. My card was perfect for that, too. The last site that I'm submitting this card in is the Stampin' Sisters in Christ site. Their challenge is to add sparkle to a card..I love those little touches of sparkle. One card--three different challenges...guess that's a good way to stretch my stamps! Anyway, I hope you'll all join me in playing along.



















Without further ado, here's my card:
Like I said, I wanted to use one of the stamps I had gotten from Jennifer. I had seen her do a video, years ago, where she took some distress ink pads and inked up the stamp and spritzed it. I'm a bit of a coward in doing it that way b/c I'm convinced I will contaminate my inks...so, I went the easier way and used distress markers to color in the image. Then, I spritzed it with water a couple of times and stamped the image. I took a paintbrush and a bit of water and blended the lines a bit but was overall happy with how the image turned out. I added some purple strips to the side of the main panel and then heat embossed a butterfly on vellum. I wanted to add color to the butterfly so I grabbed my distress ink pads and inked up my work surface with spicy marmalade and dusty concord. Then, I added some water and painted the butterfly on the back of the vellum. This gave it a softer look--and you can't see my messy painting! :) I added some gems throughout the card and then stamped a few small butterflies. The sentiment, although I could have added it on the front, I chose to add it on the inside. It says "Hope you have a super fun birthday"--also from Hero Arts.

I think I've only played with this stamp a couple of times...but I love how this card turned out! And I love that I can still see the main stamp through the vellum wings of the butterfly...

Thanks for stopping by--and hope you can play along!
Pat

PS--If, by chance, Jennifer is reading this--thank you for always inspiring me with your creativity and generosity!

7 comments:

  1. Wow Pat!! You did an amazing job with this card! I love the technique you used and the butterfly is just beautiful! Thank you for joining us this week at V's Sweet Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job, Pat! Very festive and colorful--love it! Thanks for playing along with us this week at V's Sweet Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW the colors on this card are gorgeous! I can definitely see how you were inspired by Jennifer! Thanks so much for joining us at ABNH :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat! Lovely, lovely card! Beautiful colors and I thank you for explaining your technique! I have a "swirl" stamp similar to that and now I want to try it too! So glad you decided to join us this week at SSiC!
    Blessings to you!
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow stunning!!! I LOVE this card! Beautiful colors and butterfly, thank you so much for joining us at V's Sweet Ideas Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is very beautifully done, so pretty!

    Visiting from ABNH Challenge
    xo, Kristina
    Come by and visit sometime!
    www.pearlgateway.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful colors! I love what you did with the inking! Thanks for playing along with us at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. It always brightens up my day!